Friday, April 18, 2008

My plan

I try, and I want to do it more all the time, to live in this world, not as if it were merely $1200, 16 hours and some jet lag from here to Great Britain, but as if it were 12,000 miles, 3 gallons of petroleum, 500 gallons of jet fuel (which I must, in fairness, attribute the lot of to myself, because I can never know when I am the one passenger making the difference between 19 flights and 20 flights per day by British Airways from Los Angeles to London in any given tourist season). This is not to mention my consumer's responsibility for the building and maintenance of this air craft. In fact, it is fair to say that the more I travel by air, the greater responsibility I own for the sustenance and expantion of the industry. Think of the amount of metal that goes in to all of that skin, frame, wings, engines, moving parts, and all the little miles of wiring that run throughout the entire structure of the plane; think of the energy used in mining, extracting, shipment of the metal itself. Think of the manufacture from raw metal into alloys, then into actual products, think of the test flying, the movement from producer to buyer, and all of the myrriad trips it has taken between it's virgin flight and the time you board, think of the portion of that infrastructure that you own, and then you decide wether to fly to another continent twice, three times, four, but really, even just once a year for an entire lifetime. It just seems like more than one person's share. And granted, not every one person on this earth actually recieves the share they are due, but that in no way justifies anyone taking so much more than their own share.

If I ruled the world...

No comments: