Saturday, March 1, 2008

Florida

So, I guess one of the reasons I haven't been posting lately is that I feel like I don't have much to write about right now. But I know I ought to put a little down every now and then anyways just to keep this thing from going stale. Also I know its good for an aspiring writer to write a little bit every day in order to sharpen his or her skills, and I've never been good at disciplined daily anything, so I'm tryin hard to get into this as a habit.

Anyways, I'm on family vacation in Florida, my first time ever in this state, which is exciting. Aside from one of my sister's softball tournaments in Tennessee, I've never been to the south. And I know the peninsula isn't really very southern (I've heard that the farther south you go in Florida the farther north you go in perspective) but still, it was pretty dern cool to get off the plane to find the baggage handlers all talking to each other in Creole!

I'm serious, I swear. I honestly couldn't believe it myself. It didn't seem possible at first. I figured it must be Spanish and they were Cubans, but no, it really was Creole. Other than that, everything about Ft. Lauderdale has seemed completely sterile, just like every other place in the country, but just that little flash of authenticity was really cool.

Tomorrow we're gonna go to Little Havana in Miami, which should be just a bit more unique, but so far, the Miami 'burbs are just like the DC 'burbs, Long Island, Moorpark, or Downers Grove. More black people I guess, but I only notice that because there aren't any black people in California. Well, none outside Richmond and Compton anyways.

So I'm gonna go. I'll try to write about Calle Ocho before bed tomorrow, but who knows if I'll have the will. Peace and Love all.

No comments: